THE third batch of 25 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and a 4-month-old infant returned home from war-torn Israel Monday.
The 16 caregivers, nine hotel workers and the baby arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport at 3:55 p.m.
Haunted Gerald Caniban, one of the Filipinos repatriated from Israel, recounts his ordeal during the Hamas rocket attacks at the start of the Israel-Hamas war. PHOTO BY J. GERARD SEGUIA
So far, the government has repatriated 60 Filipinos — 46 caregivers,12 hotel workers and two infants since October 18.
“We continue to give assistance and monitor the situation of our fellow countrymen in Israel. Of the 650 distressed calls, 648 are already accounted for, while the remaining two is still unaccounted for,” Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) Officer in Charge Hans Cacdac said in a media briefing.
Eleven of the 25 OFWs have finished their contract, while the 14 voluntarily terminated it, DMW Undersecretary Maria Anthonette Allones said.
Cacdac said the Migrant Workers Office in Tel Aviv has received about 120 more requests for repatriation.
Just like the first two batches of repatriates, the latest group also received P50,000 each from the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW); P50,000 from Overseas Workers Welfare Administration; P10,000 cash; P10,000 worth of food subsidy; and P15,000 in livelihood assistance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
They also received immediate medical assistance from the Department of Health, including psychosocial first aid and medical checkup, with vitamins and maintenance medicines.
On Saturday, the remains of one of the four Filipinos killed in the Israel-Hamas conflict also arrived in the country.
The body of caregiver Loreta Alacre was the first to arrive home, and the government said it is working to repatriate the remaining three.