The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) has expressed willingness to work with the International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation into the alleged human rights abuses during the Duterte administration’s controversial drug war.
According to a report on “24 Oras” Wednesday, CHR chairperson Richard Palpal-latoc said the commission is willing to share the evidence it has gathered with the ICC.
Palpal-latoc also said he doesn’t see any “conflict” on the issue as the CHR is an independent constitutional body from the executive.
“If the ICC will request us to help them, in so far the evidence we have gathered. Dun sa mga cases naman na naimbestigahan namin, we can share it kasi public document naman na yan eh,” the commissioner said.
“We are an independent constitutional body and we have an independent mandate na hindi kami dependent on the directive of the president. So wala akong nakikitang conflict,” he added.
The commissioner, however, clarified allowing the ICC’s entry into the Philippines is not part of their mandate.
In July this year, ICC Appeals Chamber denied the appeal of the Philippine government against the resumption of the investigation into the war on drugs.
Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla, however, said the country would not comply if the ICC issued an arrest warrant against individuals allegedly involved in the cases.
Other Philippine officials, including President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., have said the government will not cooperate with the ICC, reiterating that the tribunal has no jurisdiction over the country.
Under the drug war, at least 6,200 suspects were killed in police operations based on government records. Human rights groups, however, claimed the actual death toll could be from 12,000 to 30,000.–Sundy Locus/LDF, GMA Integrated News