Comelec deletes over 257K voters’ records due to duplicates, residence transfers GMA News Online
Filtered By: Topstories
Published June 30, 2023 6:16pm
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has deleted a total of 257,805 voter registrations ahead of the October 2023 Barangay and Sangguniang Elections (BSKE).
“As of 29 June 2023, a total of 257,805 records nationwide have been deleted or abated from the national List of Registered Voters,” Comelec Spokesperson Rex Laudiangco said in a statement.
This is a result of the June 19 Special Election Registration Board hearing.
The number includes 167,223 identity of two or more voters’ fingerprints based on the Automated Fingerprint Identification System, 84,335 voters who already transferred to another city or municipality, 83 voters failed to vote twice in two succeeding regular elections, 2,620 voters who were reported or confirmed deceased by the local civil registrars, and 3,544 voters who were found to have double and multiple records in the city/municipal level.
Another round of cleansing of the list will be held on July 27.
Earlier, the Comelec said there are more than 400,00 individuals who have double or multiple registrations.
In May, Comelec spokesperson Rex Laudiangco said the poll body would file election offense cases against individuals who deliberately commit double registration.
The poll body had already started the filing of cases against 7,000 individuals, Comelec Chairman George Garcia earlier said.–LDF, GMA Integrated News