The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has ruled that the 10 barangays transferred from Makati City to Taguig will be part of the latter for the Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan Elections (BSKE).
This comes after the Comelec approved the recommendation and opinion of its Law Department regarding the transition.
“The barangays situated in Parcel 3 and 4, PSU-2031, can now be considered part of Taguig City for purposes of the 2023 BSKE,” the poll body said in a memorandum.
Parcel 3 and 4 consist of the 10 enlisted men’s barrio (EMBO) barangays.
Meanwhile, Comelec also approved the law department’s recommendation for the Election Records and Statistics Department (ERSD) to provide the Information Technology Department (ITD) with an updated coding system for the barangays.
It also directed the ERSD to reallocate BSKE forms and supplies.
The Comelec also advised the Office of the Election Officer (OEO) of the Makati Second District and Taguig to prepare a new Project of Precinct, a new list of support staff, and to prepare a new printed computerized voters list and election day computerized voters list, among others.
The poll body also ordered the reallocation of the funding for costs that may be incurred in the transfer of the voters.
In 2021, the Supreme Court ruled that the Fort Bonifacio Military Reservation, consisting of parcels 3 and 4, psu-2031, was part of the territory of Taguig City.
The high court has also denied Makati’s motion for reconsideration in 2022 and 2023 on the matter.
In a statement, Taguig City extended its gratitude to Comelec, saying the poll body’s decision is in compliance with the Supreme Court.
“The Honorable Commission’s move to fully implement the Supreme Court’s final and executory decision in the territorial dispute is highly commendable, and stands as a testament to its commitment to upholding justice and ensuring peaceful and orderly elections,” it said.
The Taguig government, meanwhile, urged Makati to “demonstrate a spirit of cooperate and respect” for the decision.
“Let us work together for the community in assuring a seamless transition for our Barangay and SK officials,” it said.
“Embracing this outcome with unity, open communication, honesty, and truthfulness will undoubtedly contribute to the betterment of all residents involved,” it added.
In a memorandum last week, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) instructed the cities of Makati and Taguig to assist the Comelec in poll-related matters ahead of the BSKE.
The DILG instructed the two city governments to provide Comelec with assistance and support on election matters — including the venue for filing of certificates of candidacy; residency requirements; and locations of polling places — in 10 barangays that are the subject of a Supreme Court decision.
Comelec chairman George Garcia earlier said voters in the affected barangays will not need to re-register for the upcoming elections.
He said voters from the barangays formerly declared as part of Makati City will be automatically transferred to Taguig City.
The period for the filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) for the 2023 BSKE will run from August 28 to September 2, while the campaign period will run from October 19 to October 28 only. –KBK/RSJ, GMA Integrated News