Immigration Adviser Author of ‘How 2 Come to the UK to Live Work Study or Visit’
This year the Home Office has implemented a number of important changes to the UK Immigration Rules, on Tier 2 working visas, most of which will take effect on April 6, 2017.


Tier 2 sponsoring employers and applicants for Tier 2 working visas or work permits to work in the UK need to be aware of the following new requirements:


Immigration Skills Charge


An Immigration Skills Charge of £1000 per skilled worker per year will be levied on Tier 2 employers, reduced to £364 for small and charitable sponsors. The money raised by the tax will be used for training to help reduce skills gaps in the UK workforce Overseas Criminal


Record Certificates


The UK Home Office is extending the requirement to provide criminal record certificates for certain occupations to Tier 2 (General) applicants and their adult dependent partners. Individuals applying from overseas on or after April 6, 2017 where the main applicant is coming to work in the education, health, or social care sector will be required to obtain certificates.


Tier 2 Application changes


Minimum salary threshold for Tier 2 (General) experienced workers is increasing from £25,000 to £30,000, but will be held at £20,800 for “new entrants”. A temporary exemption to the minimum galaxy threshold will apply for nurses, medical radiographers, paramedics, and secondary school teachers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, computer science, and Manda-rin until July 2019.


There are job openings for Secondary school teachers in combined science, computer science, and Mandarin, which are being added to the Shortage Occupation List.


The minimum salary threshold for indefinite leave to remain applications submitted on or after 6 April 2022 will increase to £37,900.


If you have made an application for entry clearance or leave to remain using a Certificate of Sponsorship that was assigned by your sponsor before 6 April, 2017, the application will be decided m accordance to previous rules.


If you need further advice or have visa or employment issues, please email me —


(Image from

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: