Tourism bounces back in Boracay despite impending closure
Based on the figures of the Malay Municipal Tourism Office, the tourist arrival in Boracay Island climbed to nine percent in February 2018 compared to the same period of last year.
Visitors to the island from March 1-27 this year reached 145,555 compared with 167,445 for the whole month of March in 2017.
This long holiday, more tourists are expected to arrive in the famous summer destination.
“I am positive that by this March, tourist arrival will really increase from the previous year, because of the products and services that Boracay can offer especially the beach activities,” said Malay Municipal Tourism chief Felix Delos Santos.
The closure of some business establishments did not affect tourists as they transfer to other hotels.
Majority of the tourists are Chinese, Koreans, Taiwanese, and Americans.
“Amazing. The water is very pure its different with China,” said Chinese tourist, Wenqi Chen.
“Fine. Beautiful. Very good. The sea was very beautiful,” said 11-year old tourist, Julia Salikhova.
In the meantime, the Chinese and Taiwanese community said three scheduled flights have already been canceled in April, although the government has yet to push through with the closure.
When asked if all of the flights to Boracay will be canceled, Boracay Filipino Chinese Tour Guides Association Thomas Santiago said: “Hindi pa. Lahat hinihintay nila yung final pero meron yung mga airlines na gustong canceled na kaagad kasi lesser yung risk. Baka babayaran nila yung cancelation fee sa airline. Apektado talaga.”
(Not all. They are waiting for the final decision. But some airlines want to cancel immediately because the risk would be lesser. They might pay the cancellation fee.) — Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue
The post Tourism bounces back in Boracay despite impending closure appeared first on UNTV News.