Several Metro Manila hospitals at full capacity, no longer accept COVID-19 cases

Several hospitals in Metro Manila have temporarily suspended accepting COVID-19 patients, with their wards at full capacity given the recent surge in cases.

The Ospital ng Sampaloc no longer accepted COVID-19 patients starting 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 28, as its COVID-19 capacity had already admitted more than its maximum capacity.

“Ang itinalaga namin na kama para sa COVID patients ay 40. Ngayong araw na ito, 41 na ‘yung admitted na COVID cases. Kasama ‘din ‘yun ‘yung mga nakapila sa emergency room na naghihintay na maiakyat sa ward,” Dr. Aileen Lacsama, Director of the hospital, said in a report on GMA’s “24 Oras Weekend” on Sunday.

(We dedicated 40 beds for COVID patients. To date we have already admitted 41, including those on queue and waiting to be entered into the ward.)

Out of the 41 COVID patients, 22 or 55% were unvaccinated.

The same situation was reported at the Lung Center of Philippines, where 95% of the COVID-dedicated beds are currently being used. The hospital has yet to see the effects of the recent two-week enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in Metro Manila.

“Parang hindi pa, kasi may mga araw na bababa ng konti ang kaso, pero sisipa uli ‘yan eh. We are always in the brink of full capacity. Hindi talaga bumababa pa,” Dr. Norberto Francisco, spokesperson of the hospital, said in the same report.

(It seems like we have not seen the impact yet because there are days when cases would temporarily go down but they spike again. We are always on the brink of full capacity. It is not going down yet.)

Francisco said manpower is also down, as some of the healthcare workers are falling sick. The hospital is now looking to boost its workforce, also in anticipation of the establishment of modular units within the vicinity.

“Sa ngayon kapos na kapos kami, dahil may mga nagkakasakit. ‘Pag may nagkakasakit, two weeks quarantine ‘yan at least. Talagang napa-paralyze ‘yung unit. Kahit ‘yung mga naka-off inaanyayahan na lang namin na mag-overtime. We really need enforcement,” he said.

(We are lacking manpower because some are falling sick. Once one gets sick, that is a minimum of two weeks of quarantine. The unit gets paralyzed. We invite even those off duty to do overtime.)

The COVID complex at the Veterans Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City has also temporarily suspended accepting COVID patients, while the Hospicio de San Jose transferred 34 mild and asymptomatic patients to a Red Cross isolation facility to decongest their wards in anticipation of possible additional cases. — DVM, GMA News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: