PH’s COVID-19 death toll breaches 15,000

By Kristel Limpot, CNN Philippines

The country has now lost more than 15,000 lives to COVID-19, as the Department of Health confirmed for the fourth consecutive day over 200 new deaths from the virus.

Its Monday report showed the viral illness killed 204 more people, with the death toll rising to 15,149.

The past week alone accounted for around 11% of that total, as the DOH recorded more than 1,700 deaths since April 6. On April 9, the country saw its deadliest day of the pandemic with 401 new deaths.

Of the newly confirmed fatalities, the department said 34 were earlier announced as recoveries and were reclassified after final validation.

The case fatality rate — or the percentage of those who succumbed to COVID-19 out of all infected — is currently at 1.73%.

The bulletin also listed an additional 11,378 infections, marking the fourth straight day new cases breached 10,000. This does not yet include results from six testing laboratories which failed to submit data on time.

The total case tally now stands at 876,225, of which 157,451 or 18% are active cases. At least 97% of the currently ill patients have mild symptoms, while 1.7% are asymptomatic, 0.5% are critical cases, 0.6% are severe, and 0.32% are moderate.

Meanwhile, 267 were added to the recovery count, which climbed to 703,625. A day before, the country listed over 55,000 more patients cleared of COVID-19, the biggest daily rise yet in the number of survivors.

After final validation, the DOH said it removed 21 duplicate entries from its data, including 12 survivors.

It also posted a daily positivity rate of 19.5% as of noon of April 11. This means nearly 1 in 5 individuals tested on the same day was found positive for the coronavirus.

In a report on Sunday, the independent research group OCTA said more people in Metro Manila are dying due to COVID-19, with the case fatality rate climbing to 2.02% from the 1.8% recorded in October last year. It also noted, however, that the average daily tally of new infections in the area has declined over the past week.

After two weeks under the strictest form of lockdown, this is the first day the capital region and several provinces ease to a modified enhanced community quarantine, which will be in place until end-month. Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire acknowledged COVID-19 figures remain high, and hospitals are still overwhelmed, but she added the full effect of the recently lifted ECQ over the Greater Manila area can be expected 10 days to two weeks from now.

READ: MECQ guidelines: What we know so far

Among Filipinos abroad, the Department of Foreign Affairs said 13 more have contracted the virus, while three more have gotten well. These brought the total cases to 17,112 and recoveries to 10,125. Deaths still stand at 1,083.

Worldwide, the pandemic has killed over 2.9 million out of 136 million infected, the latest data from the Johns Hopkins University showed. Recoveries, meanwhile, have climbed past 77.4 million.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: