Travelers from the Philippines can once again visit South Korea except North Gyeongsang Province, which has seen a spike in the number of novel coronavirus cases, Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo confirmed Tuesday.
The Inter-agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases has approved the resumption of Filipinos’ travel to South Korea, but they have to sign a health declaration form to signify their knowledge and understanding of the risks involved in their trip, Panelo said. A health advisory pamphlet shall likewise be handed out to them, he added.
Authorities earlier banned all travel to South Korea, except for those who live, study or work there.
Meanwhile, the travel ban on foreign nationals arriving from the North Gyeongsang Province remains in effect, according to the official.
Panelo also said the task force has agreed not to impose new travel restrictions or lift the ban on mainland China and its special administrative regions Macau and Hong Kong.
South Korea has so far recorded the highest COVID-19 cases outside of mainland China, with 4,812 cases and 29 deaths as of March 3.
The novel coronavirus is continuing to spread around the world, with more than 89,000 global cases and over 3,100 deaths, CNN reported. More than 70 countries and territories now have confirmed cases of the disease, CNN added.
A total of two countries and two territories were covered by the travel restrictions that are meant to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the Philippines.
The number of COVID-19 cases in the country remains at three, with one fatality. All of them are Chinese nationals from Wuhan – China’s city that is at the epicenter of the outbreak.