By JULIA MARI ORNEDO, GMA News
Around 80 percent of the Philippines’s 3,764 coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases are from Metro Manila, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said on Tuesday.
The health chief said that this was because the coronavirus first entered the country through the international ports in the capital region.
The first three cases of COVID-19 in the country were all Chinese nationals with a history of travel to Wuhan province, where the virus broke out late last year.
“Mas kaunti po ang kasong naitala sa Visayas at Mindanao dahil dulot na lamang po ito ng local transmission mula sa Kamaynilaan,” Duque said at a virtual press briefing.
He added that, outside Luzon, Davao Region has the highest number of COVID-19 cases at 79 followed by Central Visayas with 39.
The respiratory illness has so far claimed 177 lives while 84 have already recovered.
Cases by city in Metro Manila
Quezon City, the biggest city in Metro Manila, has the highest number of COVID-19 cases nationwide with 583.
Of this number, 469 patients have been confirmed by local health authorities to be Quezon City residents, while 34 have died and 15 have recovered.
Manila, the country’s capital, has the second highest number of cases with 221. Thirty of the cases have died while 17 have recovered as of Monday. A total of 428 other residents are under investigation for possible infection.
Makati City follows with 160 positive cases, 10 deaths, and 16 recoveries. Meanwhile, 593 residents are under investigation and 286 are under monitoring.
As of Sunday afternoon, Parañaque City has 155 confirmed cases with 14 deaths and five recoveries. Another 424 people are under investigation while 368 are under monitoring.
San Juan trails Parañaque with 134 cases including 24 deaths and seven recoveries, while 181 residents are under investigation and 482 are under monitoring.
In Taguig, there are 112 COVID-19-positive patients, including eight fatalities and five recoveries.
Mandaluyong City has 106 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 10 deaths and 11 recoveries, while 290 residents are under investigation and 347 are being monitored for possible infection.
Pasig comes in last on the list of cities in Metro Manila whose COVID-19 cases have run up to three digits. As of April 3, the city has recorded 105 positive cases with 15 deaths and 13 recoveries, while 221 people are under investigation and 89 are under monitoring.
Muntinlupa City has 64 cases with four deaths and one recovery, while 212 residents are under investigation and 278 are under monitoring.
Pasay City has recorded 57 COVID-19 cases with eight deaths and two recoveries, while 38 other people are being investigated and 303 are under monitoring.
Caloocan has tallied 51 positive cases with 14 deaths and four recoveries, while 172 are under investigation and 217 are being monitored.
Marikina City has 41 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 10 of whom have died and six have recovered while 18 are under investigation and 95 are under monitoring.
Las Piñas follows with 45 cases, four deaths, and 10 recoveries. Fifty-four residents are being investigated while 301 are under monitoring.
The municipality of Cainta, where the country’s first cases of local transmission were reported, so far has 43 cases with six deaths and one recovery, while 160 are under investigation and 268 are being monitored.
Valenzuela has confirmed 35 COVID-19 cases as of Tuesday.
In Malabon, 15 people have tested positive for the disease while four have died and one has recovered. Sixty-one others are under investigation while 351 are being monitored.
Navotas City has the lowest number of COVID-19 cases at 10, including two deaths. -NB, GMA News