Palace: Gov’t yet to decide on booster COVID-19 shots for health workers, elderly

Malacanang said Monday that the government is yet to decide on the recommendation of the Health department to give a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine to health workers and the elderly who are already fully vaccinated for at least six months.

“Hindi po nag-meeting ang IATF (Inter Agency Task Force) last week ‘no. So wala pa pong naa-approve ang IATF. That’s an HTAC (Health Technology Assessment Council) recommendation,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said.

“Iyong sa booster shot…that will be tackled, I think, in the next meeting of the IATF this Thursday,” he added.

The Department of Health (DOH) has given the go signal for booster and additional shots of COVID-19 vaccines for healthcare workers and the elderly within the year, and for eligible priority groups by 2022.

While the government is no decision yet on administering the booster shot, Roque said further easing of COVID-19 quarantine restrictions in Metro Manila is likely with the two-week attack rate at 52%, the average daily attack rate at 9.87, and the COVID-19 bed utilization rate and ICU bed utilization rate at 39% and 48%, respectively.

“The possibility of easing Alert Level in Metro Manila is really high,” he said.

Only 25.7 million Filipinos are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 so far, way behind the target of vaccinating 80% of the 109 million Filipinos by May 9, 2022.

Of the 25.7 million, 8.3 million are in Metro Manila.

The World Health Organization said at least 3 million elderly Filipinos are yet to be vaccinated against COVID-19.–AOL, GMA News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: