By CNN Philippines Staff
A Makati court on Monday stood by its decision to reopen the rebellion case against Senator Antonio Trillanes IV and order his arrest in connection to the Manila Peninsula Siege in 2007.
In a six-page decision dated December 18, Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda denied Trillanes’ plea to reverse its earlier ruling upholding the legality of President Rodrigo Duterte’s proclamation that voided the amnesty granted to the senator in 2011.
Alameda said the issues raised by the opposition senator in his appeal were “not novel” and had been “thoroughly and excessively passed upon” by the court.
The same court in September last year granted the government’s plea to issue an arrest warrant and travel ban against Trillanes.
It argued that the senator failed to prove that he applied for amnesty and admitted his guilt over the incident.
Trillanes, however, escaped the arrest after posting a bail worth ₱200,000.
The senator’s camp refused to comment on the decision as it has yet to receive an official copy of the court ruling.
In a statement, Reynaldo Robles, Trillanes’ legal counsel, said they “will consider the possibility of appealing or questioning the ruling before the higher court.”