Marje Pelayo UNTV News
The governments of Japan and the United States extended their condolences to the victims of the powerful earthquakes that rocks parts of Mindanao.
In a statement, Japan Ambassador to the Philippines Koji Haneda expressed his sincerest condolences to the families of the victims and offered his sympathies to all those affected.
“As an earthquake-prone country, Japan fully understands the hardship caused by such natural disasters,” Haneda said.
“We stand in solidarity with the Government and the people of the Philippines,” he added.
Meanwhile, outgoing US Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim tweeted his message of condolences to the families of the victims in the powerful earthquakes.
“I would like to offer our sincerest condolences to the victims of yesterday’s earthquake in Mindanao,” he said.
“To those in affected communities, please stay safe and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you,” he continued.
Strong aftershocks of up to magnitude 6.5 were felt in several parts of Mindanao following the main tremor on Tuesday (October 29).
Since then, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) recorded more than 700 aftershocks with strength equal to the main tremor in the same epicenter specifically in Tulunan town, North Cotabato.
As of this writing, search and rescue operations for the missing and relief efforts for the displaced residents are ongoing in the affected areas.