The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday ordered the confiscation of craft gin Cosmic Carabao after an investigation on an alleged death related to the liquor.
FDA said that based on samples it collected and tested, the gin was found positive for high amounts of methanol. Higher concentrations of methanol in alcoholic drinks can happen when methanol is deliberately added to alcoholic drinks.
“The FDA hereby warns the public on the consumption of the implicated product as this is currently unregistered and has been confirmed to contain a high level of methanol,” it said in a statement.
The symptoms of poisoning from methanol alcohol include drowsiness, vomiting, abdominal pain, and vision problems. It may lead to coma, convulsions, and death from respiratory arrest.
In June, reports emerged that two women drank the gin were rushed to the hospital after allegedly vomiting and fainting. One woman died while the other was in comatose. This prompted FDA to launch an investigation.
FDA said local liquor company Juan Brew, which manufactures and sells Cosmic Carabao gin, may be fined and its business license revoked for selling an item without product registration approval.
FDA also warned businesses and restaurants that sell Cosmic Carabao they will also be held liable. The liquor is sold by several establishments and online shops for ₱630 for 750 ml.
Juan Brew said it upholds high standard in its liquor.
“We would like to emphasize that our company is dedicated to the highest standard in processing of our products and puts the health of our consumers above all,” the company said in a Facebook post on July 3.