Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez said Monday that P30 billion worth of wages per week are expected to be earned back once eased protocol of Alert Level 3 is implemented in Metro Manila amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lopez made the estimate with Alert Level 4, which only allows 10% to 30% operating capacity for dine in and personal care services, in effect in Metro Manila until end of the month.
“It is something about P30 billion worth per week impact in wages, especially in National Capital Region (NCR),” Lopez said during Palace briefing.
“That is the potential amount we can gain once we ease into Alert Level 3,” he added.
Under the existing Alert Level 4, Lopez said that 11.7% of businesses in NCR are still closed which is slightly up from 4% from the same period last year.
Outside NCR, Lopez said that 7% of businesses are still closed.
The Philippine government has been imposing varying restrictions on business operations since the COVID-19 pandemic hit the country in March 2020.
The Health department has reported decreasing COVID-19 cases at around 4,000 a week, but authorities said this is also due to non-submission of COVID-19 tests by laboratories.
Only 20 million of the target 99 million Filipinos are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 so far.–AOL, GMA News