DOH rescinds contested policy for consent in kids’ COVID-19 vaccination

By CNN Philippines Staff

The Department of Health has removed the legally contested policy that will allow the state to give parental consent to a child’s COVID-19 vaccination even if the parent refuses.

A department memorandum dated Feb. 4 said the controversial portion that was challenged in court last week has been “RESCINDED.”

Two parents filed a petition on Feb. 3 before the Quezon City Regional Trial Court to stop the government’s COVID-19 vaccine drive for kids aged 5 to 11.

Complainants Dominic Almelor and Girlie Samonte objected to the provision in DOH’s January memorandum that says “in case the parent/guardian refuses to give consent to the vaccination despite the desire and willingness of the minor child to have himself/herself vaccinated, or there are no persons that may legally exercise parental authority over the child, the State may act as parens patriae and give the necessary consent.”

The document said the DSWD or its city/municipal counterparts shall represent the State.

The government launched the pediatric COVID-19 vaccination on Monday.

Presidential Adviser for COVID-19 Response Vince Dizon said that parental consent prior to pediatric vaccination is an “absolute requirement” or else children 5-11 years old cannot get their COVID shots.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: