The Department of Health reported on Wednesday that 3,550 more people in the country have been diagnosed with COVID-19, pushing the total case count closer to 273,000.
The latest data from the department showed there are now 272,934 confirmed cases of the viral illness nationwide, of which 60,344 are active cases. This means 22 percent of the total number of infected are still afflicted by the disease.
According to the DOH, Metro Manila detected 1,459 new infected residents, while Rizal had 271, Cavite had 196, and both Bulacan and Laguna registered 172 each.
Health spokesperson Maria Rosario Vergeire said the DOH has identified five new clusters in Calabarzon and four in Bulacan, which led to the increase in the coronavirus tallies in the areas.
Meanwhile, 524 recoveries were logged by health officials, with the country’s recovery count rising to 207,858.
The death toll also reached 4,732, as 69 more people succumbed to the disease. Of this number, 34 passed away in September, 18 in August, and 17 died in the months of April to July.
The DOH noted in its bulletin that it removed 23 duplicates from the total case count as part of its constant data cleaning process. It added that nine cases previously reported as recoveries turned out to be deaths after final validation.
Sixteen more Filipinos abroad caught the coronavirus, while another 13 recovered, the Department of Foreign Affairs said.
A total of 10,339 overseas Filipinos have been infected with COVID-19 in 77 countries worldwide. Of this number, 6,581 have gotten well while 773 have died, according to the DFA.
The Philippine National Police also confirmed 27 more cases and 62 new recoveries in its ranks. Nearly 60 percent, or 16, of the newly infected are assigned in Metro Manila. The tally among police personnel went up to 5,233 detected cases, including 3,813 recoveries and 16 fatalities.