DFA distributes cash assistance to typhoon-affected OFWs in Saipan

UNTV News and Rescue

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) distributed financial assistance to Filipinos affected by the recent typhoon Yutu in Saipan.

Initially, the Philippine government gave US$50 (P2,500) each to 400 recipients.

Meanwhile, 200 more typhoon victims each received the same amount donated by a private company.

The DFA calls on families to send one representative each as the fund is limited.

“$50 is very modest but I think it’s a good start [inaudible] especially to those most affected. Sana one per family and sana iyong talagang in need,” said Vice Consul for Guam Alex Vallespin.

Vallespin said they were keeping the DFA office in Manila updated about the situation since the typhoon struck the island on October 24.

However, the assistance had been delayed for days because the request needed to go through proper government procedures.

“You know our government is not like a private citizen/ a foundation. Ako philanthropist ako. Tomorrow (I can) go there (but) we have the bureaucracy. So that’s why it took a while,” the Vice Consul explained.

Some Filipinos still remain in temporary shelters until now because the damage to their houses is beyond repair. Still, they were grateful to the assistance they received from the government and concerned groups.

By mid of November, the DFA will return to continue with the distribution of financial help.

Based on DFA records, there are around 16,000 Filipinos living in Saipan, around 6,000 of them are overseas Filipino workers. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rey Pelayo)

The post DFA distributes cash assistance to typhoon-affected OFWs in Saipan appeared first on UNTV News.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: