DepEd recommends expansion of face-to-face classes in February

By MA. ANGELICA GARCIA, GMA News

Published January 17, 2022 11:38pm
Updated January 18, 2022 12:21am

The Department of Education (DepEd) has recommended the progressive expansion of face-to-face classes in areas under alert levels 1 and 2.

In Duterte’s Talk to the People on Monday night, Education Secretary Leonor Briones said the expansion of face-to-face classes will commence not earlier than the first week of February.

“Iyon ang proposal namin Mr. President, na February ang pag-eexpand, pero maingat pa rin taking into consideration the advice of the Department of Health, local government units, as well as now the DOJ (Department of Justice),” she said.

Briones said the DepEd and the Department of Health should be given the authority to decide on the scale and mechanics of the expansion of face-to-face classes and other school-based activities, in consultation with the Department of the Interior and Local Government within the framework of shared responsibility and the advice of the DOH.

She said the DepEd recommends that only vaccinated teachers and non-teaching personnel be allowed to participate in the face-to-face classes.

She added that the participation of vaccinated students will be preferred.

Briones assured that the framework of shared responsibility will continue and that the concurrence of local government units and parents’ consent will remain a requirement.

“Hindi kami mag-e-expand basta-basta na hindi kami nangangatok sa local governments at hangga’t hindi nakukuha ang written consent ng parents,” she said.

The country has so far recorded 3,242,374 total COVID-19 infections including 2,898,507 recoveries and 52,929 deaths.–LDF, GMA News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: