COVID-19 cases jump to 636, death toll at 38 while 26 recover

By CNN Philippines Staff

The Department of Health has recorded another big increase in the number of COVID-19 cases, bringing the total to 636 as of Wednesday. Three more infected people have died due to complications while six more others have recovered.

The DOH said 84 new patients were confirmed to have coronavirus disease.

Meanwhile, the death toll is now at 38. Among those who have recently died is a 56-year-old male Filipino resident of Quezon City with no travel history. He died of “community acquired pneumonia,” the DOH said.

A 57-year-old male Filipino from Caloocan succumbed to acute respiratory distress syndrome secondary to pneumonia and COVID-19, the agency said.

The third death was an 82-year-old female Filipino from Marikina City who previously visited the United States and was exposed to a known COVID-19 case. She also died of complications caused by the disease.

On the other hand, there are now 26 people who have been cured of COVID-19.

Here are the six recent recoveries:

– A 64-year-old Filipino female from Batangas who had been to Italy. She tested negative for the infection twice and had been discharged from the hospital on Tuesday. She was confirmed to have COVID-19 on March 14. She also suffered from hypertension.

– A 57-year-old Filipino male from Quezon City also tested negative twice and left the hospital on Monday. He had travel history to Taiwan and tested positive on March 8. The patient also had asthma and diabetes mellitus.

– A 41-year-old Filipino male resident of Pasig City who had been to Taiwan. He tested positive on March 9 and was discharged on March 24 after two negative results.

– A 66-year-old Filipino male who lives in Quezon City. He had no travel history nor had he made contact with anyone confirmed with COVID-19. He tested positive on March 14 and was released ten days later since he no longer showed any symptoms. He has one negative test result.

– A 28-year-old Filipino female resident of San Juan City. She was exposed to a known COVID-19 case and confirmed to have caught the disease on March 10. She tested negative once and was discharged on March 22.

– A 30-year-old Filipino female from San Juan with no travel and exposure history. She tested positive on March 7 and left the hospital on March 24. She no longer exhibited symptoms and had already tested negative for the infection two times.

COVID-19 is a disease caused by a coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2, which is related to the virus that causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, but is not as deadly, with the fatality rate standing at around three percent.

According to the WHO, 80 percent of patients only experience “mild illness” and eventually recover.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: