Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, June 2) — Police has confirmed that the lone gunman in the Resorts World Manila shooting incident has been killed.
Gunshots and explosions were heard from the luxury hotel and casino in Pasay City past midnight Friday.
Philippine National Police Ronald dela Rosa said the suspect, who is foreign-looking, set gambling tables on fire and stole millions worth of chips.
Dela Rosa said it’s too early to tell if terror group ISIS is behind the incident.
“(ISIS) can claim anything they want as part of their propaganda. But the police will not bite right away their claims because we have to establish facts here in order to come up with a conclusion,” Dela Rosa said.
SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors Jihadist threat, reported that ISIS claimed responsibility in the attack, quoting an “Islamic State Filipino operative.”
What we know so far:
- PNP Chief Ronald Dela Rosa confirms lone gunman in Resorts World incident burned himself to death
- 34 bodies found inside Resorts World Manila, most of which were women, Southern Police District Chief says
- Dela Rosa: No sign this is a terror attack. It’s too early to tell.
- Dela Rosa: Gunman did not fire at people.
- Dela Rosa: Kung ISIS ‘yun, pinagbabaril na niya mga nakasalubong niya. (Translation:If this is the work of ISIS, he should have fired at civilians.)
- Dela Rosa: No major injuries in incident
- Dela Rosa: Gunman entered through second floor building
- Dela Rosa: Gunman shot LCD screens, doused casino tables with has and set it on fire
- Dela Rosa: Gunman left behind backpack of P130 million-worth of stolen chips
- Dela Rosa: All guests, employees evacuated
- Dela Rosa: Metro Manila on heightened alert status following Marawi crisis. We expected a diversionary tactic.
- Dela Rosa: Situation “close to normal” as of 5:57 a.m., Friday
- Dela Rosa: Ongoing room-clearing inside Resorts World Manila
- Metro Manila Police Chief Oscar Albayalde: 30 reported minor injuries, one “slight gunshot wound”
- Albayalde: Some people suffocated due to thick smoke
- Albayalde hopes gunman is still inside Resorts World Manila
- Albayalde: No indication this is a terror attack
- Albayalde: Gunman used “baby armalite”
- Albayalde: This could be a case of robbery
- Resorts World Manila Chief Operating Officer Stephen Reilly: We will help victims as much as we can
According to a witness, the gunman, who was wearing a mask, opened fire in the second floor.
However, a security guard said there may be more than one attacker.
Smoke was also seen coming from Resorts World Manila following the shooting.
The casino tweeted in its official account that it is on lockdown.
(Article, Image, and Video from cnnphilippines.com )