Boracay resort closed due to lack of permits

By CNN Philippines Staff

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources said Saturday it has ordered the closure of a resort on Boracay which continued operating without proper clearances in defiance of an earlier order.

A statement from DENR said the Boracay Inter-agency Task Force served the closure order Friday on the Boracay Plaza Beach Resort, located on Station 1 on the island.

DENR Director Natividad Bernardino said the resort’s closure was part of the “continuing effort to compel all establishments to comply with environmental laws and regulations.”

Bernardino appealed to everyone to follow the law and not waste the government’s efforts in cleaning up the island.

“All establishments which have yet to comply with existing laws and regulations should not operate until they secure all necessary permits and clearances. There should be no let-up in our efforts to complete the rehabilitation of Boracay Island,” she added.

According to DENR, the resort was issued a demolition order in April 2018 after it was discovered that its front and back sides exceeded the required 30 meter coastal easement and road easements of six meters from the center of the road.

All establishments found violating the law were ordered closed. However, Boracay Plaza Beach Resort “continued to operate in defiance of the law while all of its neighboring establishments have demolished their illegal structures,” the department said.

Boracay island was shut down in April last year for a six-month rehabilitation period. It reopened in October, with officials enforcing strict rules to tourists and local businesses.

Days after the reopening, 209 establishments were fined by the DENR for violating various environmental laws.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: