RECENT NEWS

[aioseo_breadcrumbs]
Bookmark This News
Photo by Jay-Vee Marasigan Pangan

ICC Allows New Evidence in Duterte Drug War Case

The International Criminal Court has made a crucial decision — just days before a highly anticipated hearing on former President Rodrigo Duterte’s controversial war on drugs.

Both Duterte’s camp and ICC prosecutors have been given the green light to submit more evidence.

Yes — more documents.
More records.
More pieces of a story that continues to divide a nation.

A Decision That Changes the Table

In a ruling dated February 20, 2026, ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I approved requests from both sides to expand their lists of evidence ahead of next week’s confirmation of charges hearing.

The Defence’s second request to add items was granted.

The Prosecution’s request to include fourteen new pieces of evidence was also approved.

This didn’t happen overnight.

Earlier this month, on February 10, the Chamber had already allowed both camps to update their evidence lists. Revised versions were filed just days later, on February 13.

But the legal battle didn’t stop there.

108 More Items from Duterte’s Camp

On February 18, Duterte’s legal team made a bold move.

They asked to add 108 new items to their list of evidence.

One hundred and eight.

According to the Defence, prosecutors confirmed during discussions that these additions would cause them no prejudice — meaning, they would not be unfairly disadvantaged.

And in a rare moment of legal alignment, the Prosecution did not object.

In fact, prosecutors themselves asked the Chamber to admit fourteen additional items to their own list. Duterte’s camp agreed not to oppose that request either.

For now, at least, both sides appear focused on putting everything on the table.

Why the ICC Said Yes

The Chamber explained its reasoning clearly.

The additional materials were limited in scope.
They were relevant to the charges.
And no party formally objected.

Because of this, the judges said there was “good cause” to approve the requests — without causing undue prejudice to either side.

The order was firm:

Both the Defence and the Prosecution must file their updated evidence lists no later than February 20, 2026 at 4:00 p.m.

The clock is ticking.

Duterte Will Not Attend Hearing

In another significant development, ICC Pre-Trial Chamber I also granted Duterte’s request to waive his right to personally attend the confirmation of charges hearing next week.

That hearing will determine whether the case moves forward to trial.

For victims, supporters, critics, and observers around the world — the stakes could not be higher.

Next week’s proceedings may shape not only Duterte’s legal future, but also the global conversation about accountability, power, and justice.

The world will be watching.

And the story is far from over.

For more News like this Visit Pinas Times

Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter

Get notified about new articles

Subscription form - Summary

Receive the latest news

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter

Get notified about new articles

Subscription form - Summary